Marquette Senior High School and the Redmen football program are pleased to announce the 2018 varsity team schedule. The upcoming season will feature some familiar opponents and new additions due to the recent conference realignment taking place in the Upper Peninsula.
Noticeably absent from the 2018 schedule is the annual rivalry game against Negaunee High School. The 2018 season will mark the first time in 123 years that the two schools will not compete against each other in the sport of football.
“We are certainly disappointed that the long-standing tradition of the Diamond Jubilee football game will not be continued next season,” said Alex Tiseo, Marquette Athletic Director. “The Marquette-Negaunee football game has always been an important event for our two communities and one that our students, families and fans enjoy attending. While we hope to renew this tradition in the near future, we are excited about our new match-ups that will serve our students and community well.”
The Redmen will open the 2018 campaign at home with a new opponent in Maple City-Glen Lake High School. The Lakers finished the 2017 season with a 7-2 record after the team’s loss to Traverse City-St. Francis in the second round of the MHSAA playoffs. Marquette will also welcome back Gladstone High School to its schedule when the Redmen will take on the Braves in week 8.
The full 2018 schedule is listed below and is subject to change
- August 24 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Traverse City-St. Francis
- August 31 – Away – TBA – Traverse City Central
- September 7 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Sault Ste. Marie
- September 14 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Escanaba
- September 21 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Petoskey
- September 28 – Away – TBA – Kingsford
- October 5 – Away – TBA – Lakeland Union
- October 12 – Home – 7:00 p.m. – Gladstone
- October 19 – Away – TBA – Menominee